Letters About Literature is an Indiana reading and writing contest for students in grades 4-12. Students are asked to read a book, poem, essay, or speech and write to the author (living or deceased) about how the work affected how they see themselves or how they see the world. State winners are announced each spring. Indiana’s winners receive cash prizes and are published in an annual anthology. If you are in grades 4-12 and live in Indiana, you are eligible to enter the Indiana Letters About Literature reading and writing contest.
The Indiana Letters About Literature contest is a program of the Indiana Center for the Book, an affiliate of the Library of Congress. The contest is supported by the James and Madeleine McMullen Family Foundation and the Indiana State Library Foundation. To support the Indiana Letters About Literature program, donate here.
The Indiana Letters About Literature contest will begin accepting entries via our online platform on November 12, 2019. The last day to submit entries will be January 13, 2020.
Indiana Letters About Literature
Please use this form to submit your entry for the 2019-2020 Indiana Letters About Literature writing contest. Open to Indiana residents only.
- See https://www.in.gov/library/lal.htm for full contest details. Before you submit your entry, please read the official rules.
- Students: Please view the video below for instructions on submitting.
- Parents: Please view the video below for instructions on submitting.
- Teachers: Please view the video below for instructions on submitting multiple entries on behalf of your students. When completing the address part of this form, please remember to use your school address and to enter the school name in "Address Line 1."
- By completing this form, you are entering the Indiana state competition. Visit the Indiana Letters About Literature contest at https://www.in.gov/library/lal.htm for information about state recognition and contest details.
- If you have any trouble with the online platform, please visit this Submittable article for assistance.
Indiana Letters About Literature is an annual writing contest for students in grades 4-12. Support for this program is made possible by support from the James and Madeleine McMullen Family Foundation and the Indiana State Library Foundation.